A History of NBRIA
The National Board of Religious Inspectors and Advisers
The National Board of Religious Inspectors met for the first time in May 1875 to adopt 'a uniform course of religious doctrine and sacred history for pupil teachers'. This work was continued through the course they proposed and the inspection of schools. From 1961 Assistant Inspectors joined the Board meetings.
In October 1968 the name was changed to the National Board of Religious Inspectors and Advisers following more than a decade of significant development in the whole area of catechetics and religious education. In February 1970 the Board of Directors of Catechetics (which had been established by the Bishops in 1962) merged with NBRIA since there was already significant overlap between its members.
Since that time all advisers appointed by their Bishop for his diocese are members of the Board. The National RE Adviser became a member ex officio until that post was terminated. The Director of the CES and latterly the RE Adviser to the CES are ex officio members. Other groups are associate members.
The Catholic Project
The Catholic Project, originally named The National Project, is rooted in developments in catechesis and religious education since Vatican II. The partnership with NBRIA (National Board of Religious Inspectors and Advisers) was, and continues to be, essential in the development of the Project and of each individual resource.